Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 11:50:33 -0500

João Távora <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM, Stephen Leake
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> João Távora <address@hidden> writes:
>>

>> On the other hand, you can in principle use 'ede.el' instead of
>> 'project.el'. I'm persuing that idea for a while; if that works well
>> enough, then there's no need for project.el.
>
> I suppose. I tried, but not very hard, ede.el in the past. The reason
> I didn't try very hard is that it scared me. If I recall pcorrectly,
> there a lot to setup, new concepts to learn... and a funnyly named
> file to edit:

EDE has gotten better, and the developers are still actively improving it.

> I'm really hoping project.el vc-aware interface can:
>
> * automatically understand 90% of my projects automatically.
>
> * For the other 5% I'll try to make the projects themselves conform to
>   some other standard representation that some other project backend
>   automatically understands, i.e. I would rename targets of Makefiles
>   and relocate dependencies if that helped some hypothetocal backend
>   (that I assume is well designed)
>
> * For the other 5% I'll bite the bullet and edit a file at the root
>   of the project. I just hope that file is .dir-locals.el.

I believe the current development version of EDE meets these goals, or
at least desires to (except for the name of the project description
file).

In particular, the user guide has been much improved.

Both the Emacs bundled version and the SourceForge development version
of EDE are a little broken right now, because of the eieio and
cl-generic changes in Emacs master. So you should wait a while before
trying it again.

--
-- Stephe