Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 19:55:34 -0700

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
What I object to is_non-working_  characters - characters which appear
on nobody's keyboard (see Bastien's question about typing curly quotes)
and are problematic to display (See Eli's recent post, for example).

So you object to having form-feeds in Elisp source code as well? After all, form-feeds are "non-working" by your definition. :-)

As for the philosophical issue, I'm afraid we'll just have to disagree. In my experience, hackers prefer to scratch the itches they feel personally. Discouraging non-ASCII characters even in relatively innocuous contexts like doc strings and diagnostics is connected to putting off the task of making it easier to edit text with these characters.