Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:12:09 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 23:08:27 +0600
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> I used to use Windows, including the Windows console, as my primary
> environment. It displays most of the European part of Unicode
> allright, once you configure it to use a TrueType or OpenType font.

Europe is but a small part of the world, and the fonts available for
that on the Windows console are ugly and hard to read.

So these problems are much more significant than what you are trying
to convince us.

> curly quotes are unproblematic.

Not true, see above.

> Some applications (notably, ports of Unix utilities) have problems
> displaying Unicode on the Windows console. That is a bug in those
> applications.

LOL.  I have yet to see a native Windows port of a significant Unix
utility that doesn't have that "bug".  About the only one I know about
is the stand-alone Info reader from the latest Texinfo 6.0 release.

And once again, when all is said and done, and the ported code handles
Unicode characters correctly when writing to the console, you are back
at the console font problem I mentioned above: anything outside the
European locales is downright impossible, and inside Europe you have
only the ugly Lucida Console font.

Let's not pretend this is easy, especially on Windows and in any other
non-UTF-8 locale.