Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:24:20 -0700

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

I think you know full well what I mean by "working character",

No, actually, I don't. From my point of view "working character" is a slippery notion that mutates when we try to pin it down. Perhaps we should stick with "non-ASCII character"; that's clear.

Spanish keyboards DO have "Ó", for any sensible value of "have".

Only if properly configured. If you use these keyboards with the wrong settings, Compose ' O won't work, and there's no "Ó" key on the keyboard so you'll be stuck. In these respects "Ó", "‘" and "’" are all in the same category on a Spanish keyboard. And this is OK.

The criterion cannot be that any text editor in any configuration should be able
to edit Emacs source code with no trouble.  That hasn't ever been true.

I think it pretty much has been, certainly for all but a few special
files, up until the last few days.

No, it hasn't been true *at all*. It's quite common for Japanese keyboards to lack a ‘\’ key, for example. And this is OK too.

I think you're agreeing with me that to work with curly quotes using
these tools, you're going to be having to enter their hex codes

Not at all.  That would be silly.  I never use hex codes to enter these
characters.