Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 15:31:45 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

> Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> The only way you can have problems with accented letters is
>> if you lie to the OS saying that your keyboard is not Spanish.
>
> Yes, and I've lied to the OS about that sort of thing with localized
> keyboards; it happens.

Maybe that's because you are not a typical user. In my decades-long
experience supporting non-techy users, I barely recall a case involving
a misconfigured keyboard.

> We can't expect Emacs to work well in every such misconfiguration.

My point was about the difficulty of typing those curly quotes. That's
on a properly configured keyboard. BTW, the X <compose> method (which
doesn't work on my Kubuntu 15.04 + USA layout international variant, but
that's maybe a misconfiguration caused by my efforts of making it work
on a sensible way) is an aberration, IMHO. It *always* takes me more
time to figure out which key combination gives the char that I want than
searching the web and paste it. And when I use some <compose>
combination, and manage to remember it (difficult) then it is broken on
the next OS upgrade.

I'm sure that Emacs can do better than <compose>. I *think* that it
already does better. What I don't know is how forcing curly quotes on
the source code can help.