Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b533552 2/5: Documentation fixes re quotes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b533552 2/5: Documentation fixes re quotes
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 07:19:03 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> In fact, in many DOC strings writing 'xxx as an isolated expression you
>> have instead substituted `xxx' instead.
>
> I did that only when the 'xxx appeared to be a not-properly-quoted
> value, not an isolated source-code expression.

Are you seriously suggesting that people wrote things like 'safe for a
symbol value because they forgot a closing quote character?

Let's see a few examples from the most recent quote-changing diff:

 ID-FORMAT specifies the preferred format of attributes uid and gid (see
-below) - valid values are 'string and 'integer.  The latter is the
+below) - valid values are `string' and `integer'.  The latter is the
 default, but we plan to change that, so you should specify a non-nil value

     doc: /* List of potentially supported image types.
-Each element of the list is a symbol for an image type, like 'jpeg or 'png.
+Each element of the list is a symbol for an image type, like `jpeg' or `png'.
 To check whether it is really supported, use `image-type-available-p'.  */);

 DEFUN ("set-message-beep", Fset_message_beep, Sset_message_beep, 1, 1, 0,
        doc: /* Set the sound generated when the bell is rung.
-SOUND is 'asterisk, 'exclamation, 'hand, 'question, 'ok, or 'silent
-to use the corresponding system sound for the bell.  The 'silent sound
+SOUND is `asterisk', `exclamation', `hand', `question', `ok', or `silent'
+to use the corresponding system sound for the bell.  The `silent' sound
 prevents Emacs from making any sound at all.

> In cases where it was an expression I escaped the apostrophe.
> Admittedly there are some gray areas, and in areas where I
> misinterpreted please feel free to change it back.

How is one supposed to resolve anything in discussion when you
constantly and habitually spin the facts and play word games and play
dumb?

--
David Kastrup