Re: debbugs tracker builds character

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: debbugs tracker builds character
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 16:40:01 -0400

> Rebase or amend+force push would update a branch destructively, which in
> a pull request context should show you that a comment was for a commit
> that's no longer in the branch. Furthermore some trackers allow you to
> mark a comment as resolved (e.g. Github recently added reactions, which
> can be used as ad-hoc markup).

I think I'm starting to see what you mean.  You're talking about a tight
integration where a pull-request is also itself an issue, so the comments
can be directly on the patch itself.  As opposed to having issues and
pull-request be two separate things that can refer to each other via
an indirection.

So this is particularly useful/meaningful when reviewing a proposed
patch from another developer, rather than when interacting with an
end-user trying to track down some bugs here's experiencing (which is
the kind of use-case I've had in mind when working on BugIt).

But indeed, the two use-cases would best be served by the same tool
since after the bug is tracked a patch might show up to fix it, after
which a review process will come up.

Food for thought, thank you,

        Stefan