Re: debbugs tracker builds character

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: debbugs tracker builds character
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 23:38:31 +0300

On 07/20/2016 10:48 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:

https://help.github.com/articles/closing-issues-via-commit-messages/

I don't think you can do anything like this using debbugs.

Why not? This seems to be rather a feature of the repository. If you
configure the (Emacs) git repository that it detects "Fixes #45"
patterns in the commit message, then it needs just an email to
address@hidden with "close 45" in the body. Something, which
could be done by the commit-msg or post-commit scripts.

Oh, ok. But it would have to email to the bug address because the person who filed it would surely want to see why and how it was closed. Preferably with a link to the closing commit.

A commit can also reference a bug (and thus show in the bug's discussion) without closing it.

I'm not arguing to install this just now. But debbugs wouldn't be a
barrier to do it. No special debbugs configuration needed.

I concede that this particular feature is indeed possible to add while still using debbugs.