Re: `read--expression' and `read-minibuffer'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `read--expression' and `read-minibuffer'
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 17:05:45 -0400

>>> Because it is tailored for that use case.  The kind of completion
>>> it provides for instance assumes the S-exp is an Elisp expression.
>> Of course it is an Elisp expression.  It does not follow that
>> the Elisp expression that has been read will then be _evaluated_.
> In this thread, Stefan is defining an "Elisp expression" to be precisely an
> S-exp that is intended for `eval'.

Not necessarily directly for `eval', but yes an Elisp expression as
opposed to random S-exp data.  E.g. when reading an alist, you shouldn't
use read--expression (whereas, when reading an expression that will
evaluate to an alist, read--expression is probably the right thing to
use).

> So a variant of `read--expression' could be written that does a subset
> of that completion appropriate to the more general context of entering
> an S-exp.

For any random S-exp data, we already have `read-minibuffer', so I don't
see any point in changing read--expression to cover that case.

        Stefan