Re: Overlays as an AA-tree

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Overlays as an AA-tree
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 17:38:44 +0300

> From: Joakim Jalap <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 08:26:41 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I managed to get it to compile at last, but now I'm hitting another
> issue. temacs segfaults in a gc while loading simple.el. It seems
> somehow some memory doesn't look like it should, because the stack trace
> from the gc is about 1100 frames! Mostly mark_object, with some
> mark_vectorlike here and there. How do I debug something like that? I
> tried putting a breakpoint in mark_buffer, but that function is called
> like a million times, and from what I can see at least the first hundred
> or so don't cause a crash.
>
> When it crashes, it always seems to be on the 10th Lisp_Object in struct
> buffer, which by my calculations is major_mode_. From there it seems to
> go haywire and into a thousand or more calls to mainly_mark object.

Seeing 1100 frames in GC is nothing unusual.  In fact, I've seen 30K
frames in a perfectly healthy GC.  Garbage collection is deeply
recursive, so just that number of frames doesn't mean GC went haywire.

I agree with Stefan: most likely you didn't update the GC code to deal
with your implementation of overlays.