Re: official Emacs Docker image

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: official Emacs Docker image
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 00:13:45 -0500

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 21:53:27 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
>   > I went to Docker Hub, turned off JS, and was able to use the settings
>   > dialogs necessary to maintain the "gnuemacs" account going forward.
>   > Account creation also seemed to work.
>
> That's sounds favorable.  But could you please compare notes with Mike
> Gurwitz about what does or doesn't require nonfree JS code?  You and
> he are getting different results; the anomaly is troubling.

Account registration on the homepage of hub.docker.com does not work
without JS.  Is there somewhere else you can register?

Since the page uses React, the form itself is not a standard HTML form:
it form contains no action or URL to post to, so clicking the "Sign Up"
button simply reloads the page (GET /):

  <form class="row" data-reactid=".1xy13jx9bls.0.0.1.0.1.0.1">

(With JS enabled, it posts to /v2/users/signup/)

AFAIK, pushing/pulling images and such can be done using the
command-line utility, which requires no proprietary software.  It's
getting to the point where one _can push_ images on Docker Hub (which
requires an account and some upfront work on Docker Hub) that is a
problem.

While I have an account for work, I haven't done anything with the
images, so I don't know if e.g. pushing an image that doesn't exist will
create it.  If not, it doesn't appear to be possible to create new
e.g. repositories without JS.

There's no harm done to users looking to download the image.  The harm
is done to users registering accounts to administer them or otherwise
participate on Docker Hub.

I did inquire about this here:

  https://github.com/docker/hub-feedback/issues/946

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer