Re: Emacs on Ubuntu advice

From: Jay Kamat
Subject: Re: Emacs on Ubuntu advice
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 10:04:55 -0400

Hi Fabrice,

> Back to my original question, I have spent quite a time looking for settings
> get the same crisp rendering of the Consolas font with Emacs-w64 and the one
> running from WSL
> and failed to up to now.

I remember this distinctly from a while ago (but I can't test it now,
because I don't have a windows box anymore).

My 2c is that:

1. GUI Applications aren't supported at all with WSL. Are you sure
whatever 3rd party X server you are running isn't the problem? (The one
I found seemed very questionable).
2. When I tried it a while back, I had this problem with all
applications (terrible, blurry font rendering), not just Emacs.

I ended up moving back to a native windows Emacs installation (and
occasionally a cygwin one) for the times I'm stuck on windows for some
reason. I find the cygwin works much better than WSL, but I guess that's
personal preference. I think you may be able to access files in WSL from
the native windows port of emacs (and it has better integration to the
rest of the system too, such as putty).

Please let me know if you're able to figure this out (I'm interested),
and good luck.

-Jay