Re: poplife-mode

From: Charles A. Roelli
Subject: Re: poplife-mode
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 13:47:26 +0100

> From: Tak Kunihiro <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 10:00:06 +0900
>
> With following line, one can cut and paste text using a pop-up menu
> triggered by right click.
>
> (define-key global-map [mouse-3] menu-bar-edit-menu)
>
> I noticed that menu-bar items that lead visiting files, buffers,
> frames, bookmarks, and recentf can be gathered into a pop-up menu.
>
> I wrote a minor mode `poplife' that provides an integrated pop-up menu
> triggered by right click.  Also this minor mode offers contextual
> pop-up menus.  When a thing under mouse click is file/directory, word,
> and url, this provides pop-up menus of list of files, candidates of
> words, and url-opening-menu, respectively.
>
> (require 'poplife)
> (setq poplife-word-flag t)
> (setq poplife-url-flag t)
> (setq poplife-edit-cottager '(:imenu t :buffer t :frame t :bookmark t
> :recentf t))
> (poplife-mode 1)
>
> Contextual pop-up menu by right click is very common interface
> nowadays and I propose to include this (or something like this) to
> Emacs.

I also hope we can include something like this in Emacs one day.  But
I would not want to usurp the current binding of mouse-3, which is
handy in its own right.  We could instead trigger the pop-up menu by,
for example, depressing both mouse buttons (mouse-1 and mouse-3) at
the same time.  This feature is apparently already used on the Windows
build to fake a mouse-2 event using a mouse that does not have a third
button:

     The variable ‘w32-mouse-button-tolerance’ specifies the time
  interval, in milliseconds, for faking middle mouse button press on
  2-button mice.  If both mouse buttons are depressed within this time
  interval, Emacs generates a middle mouse button click event instead of a
  double click on one of the buttons.

  from (emacs) Windows Mouse

But maybe it would not be ideal, especially since we don't yet have a
notation for pressing two keys at once.

Also, I would recommend to file a bug for your suggestion so that we
can better keep track of it.  Even if such a feature is not added
right away, the discussion can be useful many years later.