Re: poplife-mode

From: Charles A. Roelli
Subject: Re: poplife-mode
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 14:55:14 +0100

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:01:29 -0500
>
> > I also hope we can include something like this in Emacs one day.  But
> > I would not want to usurp the current binding of mouse-3, which is
> > handy in its own right.  We could instead trigger the pop-up menu by,
>
> Have you tried C-mouse-3?  It already offers something similar, so it
> would make sense to tweak it do what the OP needs.

That could work.  I'd still rather not require both a hand on the
keyboard and the mouse to pop up a contextual menu, though.

I just read up on how Drew's library `mouse3' solves the problem.  If
I understood it right, it redefines mouse-save-then-kill (mouse-3's
normal binding) to respond differently to either a double-click of
mouse-3 or two single-clicks of mouse-3 in the same spot.  A
double-click kills the region as it usually does, whereas two
single-clicks pop up a contextual menu with menu items based on either
the "thing at point" (if no region is selected) or the selected
region.  This also seems like o good solution.