RE: "Point" vs. "cursor" in documentation

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: "Point" vs. "cursor" in documentation
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 07:52:50 -0700 (PDT)

> Right.  I've seen the explanation.  It's like hell|o where | is the
> position of point, and cursor appears over the "o".
>
> When do we use point over cursor, and vice versa, in documentation?

If the | is something visual, it indicates a position.
If it is the cursor then it indicates point.  That's
what the cursor does: it indicates the position (point)
where text is inserted when you type.

One (point) is the position.  The other (cursor) is
a visual indication of that position.  Even if the
cursor were removed (not displayed), point would be
there - it's just a buffer position (1 ...).

When you want to talk about the position where text
will be inserted etc., use "point".  When you want
to talk about the display artifact that indicates
that position (whether shown as bar, box, this color
or that), use "cursor".