Re: "Point" vs. "cursor" in documentation

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: "Point" vs. "cursor" in documentation
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 15:21:42 +0900

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 11:39, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> When do we use point over cursor, and vice versa, in documentation?
>
> "Point" is concerned about where operations will happen, whereas
> "cursor" is concerned about where the thingy will be drawn on screen.
> The cursor only moves when the display gets refreshed (i.e. once per
> command, more or less), whereas point can be modified by lots of
> intermediate operations, so it can change thousands of times within
> a single command.

Which is the reason why "save-excursion" is used:

Introduction, 3.10

"In Emacs, a function frequently moves point as part of its internal workings
even though a user would not expect this. For example, count-lines-region moves
point. To prevent the user from being bothered by jumps that are both
unexpected and (from the user’s point of view) unnecessary, save-excursion is
often used to keep point in the location expected by the user. The use of
save-excursion is good housekeeping."

Jean-Christophe Helary