Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 10:03:27 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>

Web browsing is a niche application in Emacs, while
NSM is about all kinds of network connections, not just those created
on behalf of EWW.

Absolutely. Emacs has a more-general security problem than Firefox does.

However, when Emacs is used to browse the web, Firefox is a good model for what Emacs's default security should be. We should not waste our time (and our users' security and/or time) reinventing that wheel, nor should we be excessively cautious about improving Emacs's default web-browsing security to be something more like Firefox circa 2018 instead of like Netscape Navigator circa 1998 (I exaggerate for the purposes of conversation :-).