Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 11:15:13 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
this discussion is about the NSM, not about EWW.  NSM is
used for every net connection, not just those on behalf of EWW.  If
you are arguing that NSM should apply different settings to EWW
connections and to the other kind, then this is a separate issue.

I'm not arguing that, no. All I'm saying is that the EWW defaults should be similar to what Firefox and the other browsers use; that's just common sense. If there are good reasons for the NSM to use different default settings for non-EWW connections, then of course the NSM should do that. Inertia is not a good reason here, though, as attacks are now more sophisticated and settings defaults that were OK years ago are not OK now.