Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 10:02:41 +0300

> From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2018 19:06:29 +0100
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>, Lars
> Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>,
>       Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> In security circles these days, there's such a thing known as
> "security fatigue". Overly troublesome security measure that don't
> take human psychology into account will lead to numbness. A side
> effect of that is users will simply start ignoring security warnings
> like they skip reading iTunes's EULA.

Exactly my concerns wrt putting too many checks into 'medium'.

Is there any way to know in advance the percentage of connections (by
protocol, if possible) that will trigger any of those checks?  If so,
we could have some quantitative measure of when the "fatigue" might
strike, and decide accordingly.  Failing that, I guess the only way
would be to let users complain...