Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 09:01:44 -0700

On 07/09/2018 08:41 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
As long as `eq` treats bignums differently from fixnums, I think type-of
should return different values for the two

I don't see how this folds into your earlier point about cl-generic's dispatch. I thought the idea of cl-generic was to define a generic function that finds the most specialized method for its arguments. (I'm no expert in cl-generic, so please bear with me if I'm wrong.)

If so, why would someone want to specialize a method just for fixnums, as opposed to a method for integers? The basic operations +, -, * etc. aren't specialized for fixnums. Are you anticipating adding specialized variants fixnum-+, fixnum--, fixnum-*, etc., and then having people write methods with all this in mind? Or maybe having the bytecode optimizer use them?

If so, I suspect that approach won't be needed for Emacs Lisp. Elisp programs are not typically intended for that sort of microptimization -- otherwise we'd already have operations like integer-+, integer--, integer-*, etc. And the complexity of the differing semantics (fixnum-+ would wrap around, whereas + would not) would probably not be worth the relatively minor performance benefits.

If not, then I'm still not following the advantage of having (type-of 5) return something other than 'integer'.