Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 19:52:30 -0600

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Stefan> but (type-of <BIGNUM>) doesn't suffer from such a backward
Stefan> compatibility requirement, so it would be preferable for it to return
Stefan> `bignum`.

I read this thread and I still don't know what a use case for this would
be.  Do you have something in mind?

Stefan> I wonder on the other hand, why you think it'd be bad for (type-of
<BIGNUM>)
Stefan> to return `bignum` instead of `integer`.

Well, for one thing, it's simpler to explain that there are just
integers.  In fact after working on the docs for this I think it would
be better if bignums were interned so that eq would work.

Tom