Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 03:20:40 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I recently posted a patch which makes EQ behave like `eql` attached.
I just tried to see its impact on the ELisp compilation time
(i.e. I did `rm **/*.elc; make`).

I tried to reproduce this on my machine, and ran into some trouble (the code had warnings that caused compilation to fail). Although your patch is evidently intended only as a quick benchmark and not as an actual change, I worry that the benchmark isn't realistic enough, as some usage of EQ in C code will need to change to Feql or equivalent. Also, the C code will need to change how hashing works since XHASH etc. must be consistent with eq.

Looking into this a bit more, I discovered that eql currently operates incorrectly on NaNs, as it's inconsistent with how hash tables work. I installed the attached patch into master to fix that.

I'll try to look into doing a benchmark like yours with all the above in mind.