Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Using the GNU GMP Library for Bignums in Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 09:17:28 -0400

> I tried to reproduce this on my machine, and ran into some trouble (the code
> had warnings that caused compilation to fail). Although your patch is
> evidently intended only as a quick benchmark and not as an actual change,

Indeed (tho I have this patch installed in my "regular Emacs", so I use
it daily).

> I worry that the benchmark isn't realistic enough, as some usage of EQ in
> C code will need to change to Feql or equivalent.

I don't understand what you mean: the patch changes `EQ` itself:

    -# define EQ(x, y) lisp_h_EQ (x, y)
    +# define EQ(x, y) EQL (x, y)

where EQL is the same as Feql (except it returns a boolean instead of
a Lisp_Object).  Some uses of EQ admittedly don't need to be
redirected to EQL, so we could improve the patch to reduce its cost, but
I expect the benefit would be small.

> Also, the C code will need to change how hashing works since XHASH
> etc. must be consistent with eq.

The patch does that already, AFAIK.

        Stefan