Re: bignum branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 20:38:49 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 10:24:51 -0700
>
> On 07/17/2018 10:03 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > And then maintain local patches, and apply them every time we sync
> > with upstream GMP?  I'd rather we avoided that burden.
>
> That's OK, we can put it into Gnulib and then let the Gnulib maintainers
> worry about it.

Then we'd need to coordinate with Gnulib, which further complicates
maintenance for us.

I don't understand why this is needed, given that Tom published a
proposed solution for the issue.  If you are bothered by possible
run-time penalty for LP64 systems, we can use compile-time checks
instead of run-time checks.  So I really don't see any justification
for more elaborate schemes.