Re: Some developement questions

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 12:16:34 +0700

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 3:15 AM Joost Kremers <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Wrt "a few Unicode symbols", do you have concrete proposals?
>
> Not really, to be honest. What would be nice I think would be to
> have less 1980's-looking characters for the initial "U:---"
> appearing in the mode line.
>
> BTW, as a side note: I wouldn't mind if all the other indicators
> of the "U:---" part of the mode line would be zero for their
> default values; i.e,. don't display ":" unless the line endings
> are not unix-style LF, don't display the first "-", just display
> something for read-only buffers, etc.

This is pretty much what I did to my mode line. I use:

* a U+2022 BULLET • if the buffer is visiting a file and modified, and
nothing otherwise;
* a U+1F512 LOCK 🔒 if it is visiting a file and read-only, and
nothing otherwise;
* a U+1F5AC SOFT SHELL FLOPPY DISK 🖬 if using DOS end-of-lines, or
U+2318 PLACE OF INTEREST SIGN ⌘ if using Mac end-of-lines, nothing if
using Unix end-of-lines, and a question mark ? otherwise.

I customize Ibuffer to show these same icons for modified and
read-only buffers, too.

I do not see value in seeing that e.g. a Dired, Help or Info buffer is
read-only; that is its natural state and so uninteresting. (Rather, I
should make them display a U+1F589 LOWER LEFT PENCIL 🖉 when *not*
read-only, e.g. in wdired-mode.)