Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 02:29:57 +0200

On 15 September 2018 22:01:32 CEST, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 21:44:19 +0200
>> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Drew Adams <address@hidden>,
>>      address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>      address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> The mark-point approach is not a fundamental emacs thing, it is just
>> design choice enforced for technical limitations 40 years ago (like
>the
>> vi modes, the meta-hyper-syntax and so on) This means that (citing
>Bill
>> Joy about vi) it was created for a world that doesn't exist anymore.
>So
>> it can (and should) be updated/upgraded as many other things in emacs
>> and any long living project.
>
>I don't agree with you, and in any case it's pointless to try to argue
>that using mark and point for navigation in Emacs should go away.  You
>will never get this past long-time Emacs users.  We must look for
>other ways.

Hi. I never told that it should go away now, or ever. But as many other design
choices they could be a solution in a time.   But if it needs changes or a
reimplementation (or go away in the future) in favor of something better or new
needs, then we shouldn't keep it as is only because a reduced number of people
don't want to adapt to the new behaviours.

It should be clear about what is fundamental in emacs behaviour and whats just
something that has survived.