Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 18:37:02 +0000

Hello, Elias.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 13:46:54 +0800, Elias MÃ¥rtenson wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 10:21 Alan Mackenzie, <address@hidden> wrote:

> > <sigh> The region is simply a portion of your buffer.  What you're
> > suggesting is epistemologically incoherent.  It's "if I don't like always
> > to have a portion of my buffer do I have an alternative?".  No, Emacs
> > can't support such nonsense.  Sorry.

> It seems to me that the desires of hw could be fulfilled by simply
> disabling the mark whenever the region becomes inactive.

This can be done by setting mark-even-if-inactive to nil.  This has been
going around this list for several days, now.

It's been getting on my nerves that (unwittingly) false accusations
about the region, that its "existence" (whatever that might mean)
somehow represents an inconvenience or danger, are doing the rounds on
this list.  It only takes a little clear thought to see how ridiculous
this is.

> It does sound like something I would never want to use, but it does seem
> like what is being suggested.

Yes, I think so too.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).