Re: feedmail.el in the public domain?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: feedmail.el in the public domain?
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 12:59:38 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

why would we want or need to waste our energy on
this?  This file has been in Emacs since about forever, and it never
bothered us that it was in PD.  Why now?

Because it's come to our attention now, it's an easy fix, and getting licenses right is an important part of the GNU project's work.

If a file is in the public domain then there is no legal obstacle to placing whatever copyright license you like on a copy that you redistribute....

Maybe so (IANAL)

I'm not a lawyer either, but this is a well-understood part of copyright law there's no real controversy about it. We've used public-domain code in the GNU project before, with no problems.