Re: feedmail.el in the public domain?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feedmail.el in the public domain?
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 23:00:40 -0400

> There is no problem with having that public domain file in Emacs.

Of course, there isn't.  The question was different:

1- Take a file from public domain.
2- Make many small changes to it over the course of several years (all
   after the Berne convention).
3- Assume the sum of those changes is significantly higher than the
   "20-lines triviality threshold".
4- Is the result still public domain?

If so, great.
[ and I hope I'll remember this interesting tidbit of copyright law.  ]

If not, then the notice on this file (and others like it) is incorrect
[ This case better matches my mental model of how copyright law works.  ]

        Stefan