Re: Most of Elisp lacks lexical-binding: t

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Most of Elisp lacks lexical-binding: t
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 14:54:23 +0000

Hello, Simon.

On Sat, Feb 02, 2019 at 13:35:03 +0100, Simon Reiser wrote:
>    Is there a reason, that out of ~1800 elisp files only 65 of them enable
>    lexical-bindings?

Yes, indeed.  Originally, Emacs Lisp only had dynamic binding, and
lexical binding is a relatively recent innovation.  It is work to
convert files to use lexical bindings, and so far nobody has put in this
work for most of the Lisp sources.

But by my count there are 551 out of 1528 files in the master branch
which have lexical binding enabled.  That's something over a third.

>    AFAIK lexical-binding allows for faster byte-code to be generated.
>    Maybe it would be a good idea to enable it in most of them and
>    document those files where it cannot be enabled.

My feeling is that most files could just be changed without problems,
but there will be enough exceptions that it needs to be done carefully.

Maybe it would be a good idea, but somebody(R) has got to step forward
and volunteer to do the work.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).