Re: Most of Elisp lacks lexical-binding: t

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Most of Elisp lacks lexical-binding: t
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2019 20:36:52 -0500

> My feeling is that most files could just be changed without problems,
> but there will be enough exceptions that it needs to be done carefully.

FWIW, my local Emacs build is hacked so that it always compiles with
lexical-binding enabled.  In practice, it seems that most packages work
just fine with it, but there are indeed very definite exceptions, and
even for those packages that appear to work, the change may introduce
subtle regressions.

So, yes, it has to be done "by hand" and takes time.  Help is
most welcome.  The best is to do it with the packages that you use, so
you can more easily test the result.

        Stefan