Re: Most of Elisp lacks lexical-binding: t

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Most of Elisp lacks lexical-binding: t
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 17:47:45 -0500

>> Yup.  The path to getting rid of lexical-binding=nil will be long.
> Longer still if it is not started.

Indeed.  Maybe you want to weigh in at bug#30078.

> Put code in so that if copyright year < 2018 then use dynamic by
> default, otherwise use lexical?

Good idea.  Tho I think we might be better off looking at the file's
timestamp instead, since many files don't have a reliably recognizable
copyright year.

> (This is not a serious suggestion, just in case there is any doubt).

This ship has sailed.

> It will break things, no doubt about it. I suspect it will break things
> whenever it happens, though, so this isn't a reason for not doing it.

Breakage will be inevitable, indeed, but we can spread the pain over
some number of years.

        Stefan