Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 15:48:42 -0500

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 11:09 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Perhaps you should start a poll on Reddit about this, and we can then
> see how many people would like to use such a feature.  Do many people
> share you dissatisfaction with solutions that show fill-column only
> when it is crossed, for example?

I do not follow (proper verb?) Reddit.  That said I have desired
such a feature for years.

My use case (assumed very common) is actively entering / editing
mono-spaced text within a window that is at least somewhat wider
than the column about which I want some visual forewarning.  If I
am merely reading I most likely do not care to have such a visual
clue.

I would be entirely happy with an ability to draw a single
vertical line at a nominal "physical" column (not necessarily the
fill-column).  That line would be drawn irrespective of wrapped
continuations or other edge cases.  If the column is beyond the
window edge then the line simply would not get drawn.  If the
effect is ill-defined / unpalatable I would be happy to do
without as I would be no worse off than I am today.

(This seems reminiscent of recent discussion of "layers".)

/john