Re: Changing dictionary while flyspell-buffer is running

From: Titus von der Malsburg
Subject: Re: Changing dictionary while flyspell-buffer is running
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 09:29:06 +0100

On 2019-02-21 Thu 04:26, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > I wrote a package called guess-language that automatically detects the
>   > language of what is being typed and then switches dictionaries for
>   > spell-checking as needed.  The code relies on
>   > fylspell-incorrect-hook.
>
> I don't use flyspell, but I would appreciate this feature of
> automatically selecting the proper dictionary.  Could you arrange
> some other way to automatically run the program?
> Perhaps a variable that would tell the user-level ispell commands
> to call your package at the suitable times?

Sure, that would work, but then we’d have to make changes in
ispell.el.  Alternatively, my code could defadvice ispell functions,
such that we guess the buffer language and set dictionaries before
spell-checking.

By the way, if there is interest, I’d be happy to contribute my package
to Emacs/Elpa.  (I did the FSF copyright paperwork some years ago.)

  Titus

--
Dr. Titus von der Malsburg
Department of Linguistics