Re: Changing dictionary while flyspell-buffer is running

From: Titus von der Malsburg
Subject: Re: Changing dictionary while flyspell-buffer is running
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 09:34:09 +0100

On 2019-02-21 Thu 04:46, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 22:26:32 -0500
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> I don't use flyspell, but I would appreciate this feature of
>> automatically selecting the proper dictionary.
>
> Mayb I suggest to install Hunspell, then?  It supports loading several
> dictionaries at once, and will eliminate the need to switch a
> dictionary while spell-checking a multi-lingual document.  Emacs
> already supports that feature of Hunspell.

Hunspell is a fantastic spell-checker.  But this approach has two
downsides: 1. Hunspell is slow compared to ispell/aspell, which can be a
problem with larger documents.  2. If you set multiple dictionaries, you
will get false negatives since a typo in one language might be a word
in another language.  Depending on the set of languages used, this could
be a real problem.

  Titus

--
Dr. Titus von der Malsburg