Re: Increase minimum required GTK versions?

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Increase minimum required GTK versions?
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 12:03:06 -0400

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 11:05 AM Alex <address@hidden> wrote:
Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> Alex wrote:
>> Both Debian Jessie (oldstable) and Ubuntu 14.04LTS include GTK 2.24 and
>> 3.10. Is that good enough?
>
> I also suggest looking at RHEL 5, since Red Hat says they'll support it until
> 2020-11-30 (see <https://access.redhat.com/articles/2986371>).

Do we really have to consider RHEL 5, considering that it's on "Extended
Life Cycle Support"[1]? If someone is paying extra for post-Production
support for a "retired"[1] enterprise distro from 2007, then I doubt
that they or their users will be running the latest Emacs, especially a
GTK build instead of terminal-only or another toolkit such as Lucid.
Even if they are, they can probably install a later version of GTK as
well, right?

RHEL 5 also only has GCC 4.1.2; is this enough for Emacs?

FWIW, RHEL 6, which is still in Production phase, has GTK 2.24.

I've attached a patch that bumps both versions and removes obsolete
cruft. Bumping the GTK2 version helps the most here.

[1] https://access.redhat.com/solutions/690063

I am on RHEL 6.8 (work) and my GTK version is 2.24.23. So thanks for keeping the min supported GTK version as 2.24.