Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 12:40:04 +0200

On Tue, Oct 01 2019, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>> But if I'd take two integers, I would put 10,100 or even 10,1000 instead.
>> When scanning through large files I'd rather think in bigger numbers.
>
> Interesting.

To corroborate, I'd should point out that I rarely use[d] linum on
source code. I only activate line numbers temporarily through goto-line,
and would mostly use '10' there, for quick readability.

But I do use line numbers frequently when scanning through data files of
various forms, especially now that numbers are fast. For data it's
generally much more useful to use large numbers or something that
has meaning in data.

In linum I also used to apply a line offset to ignore the initial
headers of many text files. When using this offset consistently in both
linum and a tweaked goto-line you can essentially jump to "records",
which is incredibly neat for many scenarios.