jit-lock-antiblink-grace

From: João Távora
Subject: jit-lock-antiblink-grace
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 23:34:25 +0100

Hello all,

A while back I coded up a feature in a scratch branch that
I dubbed the "antiblink".  It helps avoid the fontification "blinking"
behaviour observed when creating temporarily unterminated
strings to source code.

I recall that Lars and Clément tested it with generally positive results.

At Stefan's request, I have reworked the implementation and
cleaned up the feature, which is embodied in the jit-lock-antiblink-grace
variable and want to land it on master if no-one objects.

If you want to try it before that happens see the
scratch/jit-lock-antiblink-cleaned-up branch.

jit-lock-antiblink-grace is set to 2 seconds by default, which works
nicely in my testing. Just launch your emacs, ensure you don't have
a quote-matching facility such as electric-pair-mode setup (in which
case the feature is mostly useless to you), and add/or remove
strings to some source code.

Thanks,
João Távora

BTW: I tried to force-push the cleaned-up version to the
scratch/jit-lock-antiblink branch. It didn't work.  Is force-pushing
disabled in those branches? It didn't use to be, IIRC.