Re: Setting rectangle-preview face in init.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Setting rectangle-preview face in init.
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 17:44:29 +0200

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 10:22:29AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I am trying to set the rectangle-preview face in my init.el
How?
(set-face-attribute 'rectangle-preview nil :background "#cd0000")

Why?  Use Customize instead.  It really works much more sanely for faces.

       Stefan

Thanks for the answer. I will find another way in any case. But this is
the first time this happens to me.

Just to comment:

I don't like to use Customize interfaces because:

I have my config in a git repo:

1) It changes my init file if I don't define a separate custom-file, and
it modifies it every time I install a package (sometimes just to test)
or change an option.

2) It adds all the stuff outside my pretty ordered config based in
use-packages at the end of the file or where it decides.

3) Some complex setups breaks it (like defining conditional faces
depending of some if conditions (window-system, (display-graphic-p)).)

4) Defining a custom-file (to not track it with git after every
update/package install) then all the faces customization go there too,
so my config will be not portable without it. The init file should
contain only one custom-set-faces... so I cannot mix them.

I won't ask for a change for anything of this, as most of the people
seems to agree with it, but in my case it only makes things more
difficult and disordered.