Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 13:16:45 -0400

> What is the purpose of this argument?  Do you agree that adding too
> much to post-command-hook should be avoided?

I agree that post-command-hook is never the "right" place.  But I don't
think moving to a place that runs at every redisplay will help very much
in terms of the risk of impacting responsiveness.

Also often there's no "right" place, so we end up choosing
post-command-hook because it's the least bad choice.

I'd like the patch to be installed, because I think it'll need tweaking
but that we need more experience with it in order to figure out what
to do.

>> > Font lock does slow down Emacs, so calling it in more cases/places
>> > will do so as well.
>> AFAICT the code doesn't call font-lock.
> It adds a timer that does.

AFAICT this only runs code which has been delayed (i.e. it would have
been run earlier if it weren't for this feature), so it's "no worse".

And it's an idle-timer run after 2s of idle time, so impact on
responsiveness should be minimal even in the worst case.

        Stefan