Re: master 270ca8c: Fix internal-lisp-face-attributes to match face.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 270ca8c: Fix internal-lisp-face-attributes to match face.
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 14:28:22 -0400

>> >     * lisp/face-remap.el (internal-lisp-face-attributes): Updated the
>>                                                             ^^^^^^^
>> The conventional practice is to use the imperative form of verbs in
>> commit messages (so here "Update").

Indeed.  The comment should describe what the change does rather than
what it did.

>> (I couldn't find documentation of this practice

It comes from the GNU Coding Standards
(https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Style-of-Change-Logs.html#Style-of-Change-Logs),
where it's not described in the text but can be seen in the example.

> Because there's nothing wrong with "Updated", IMO.

It's less consistent with the rest of our changelogs, and it wastes
a precious byte (and sometimes an even more precious column).

> You will find, for example, "Function removed" and the likes in
> the logs.

That's a passive form, and I prefer the active form.

This said, it's clearly much less important than the actual content of
the description.

        Stefan