Re: Let mode-line packages distinguish the selected-window

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Let mode-line packages distinguish the selected-window
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 22:41:56 +0300

> From: Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 21:27:29 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > Despite what the above may suggest, I fully agree: while it's now easy
> > to "roll your own", this is a common need and we should provide this
> > info directly.
>
> That would be nice. (And no Eli, I don't have a patch ready.  Not much
> of a C guy.  Not at all really.)

Well, you were "a C guy" enough to suggest where to make the change...

Anyway, feel free to submit a feature request via report-emacs-bug.

> But even though I suggested something like that, I feel the
> remembered-selected-window approach is a bit hackish.  IMO it would be
> nicer if instead of that variable regular selected-window would return
> "that window" while a new function/variable named something like
> mode-line-window returned the "window whose mode-line is currently being
> updated".  But that would be a breaking change, so maybe not.

Yes, maybe not.  And I think the variable you want should actually be
a function.

But that's the easy part; the hard part is to make sure the value does
what Lisp code called from mode-line expect.

Thanks.