Re: Let mode-line packages distinguish the selected-window

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Let mode-line packages distinguish the selected-window
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 08:48:17 +0100

> If we are going to add this feature as a C primitive, it should
> ideally free the Lisp programmers from jumping through any additional
> hoops, IMO.  So the above should be done in C instead, before
> returning the value.  If some applications may want the minibuffer
> window and others won't,

This is for applications that want to know the "usually" selected
window while the minibuffer window is selected.  It's still unclear to
me what 'minibuffer-selected-window' should really return in the first
place.  Its doc-string

  Return window selected just before minibuffer window was selected.

is misleading because, while the minibuffer is active, I always can
select a window that is not minibuf_selected_window and then select
the minibuffer window again.

> we should make the function accept an
> optional argument to select between these two alternatives.

The current version would be for users to evaluate right now.  If it
suits their needs, we can always provide it as a primitive.

martin