Re: Strange use of (run-with-timer 0 nil #'foo args) in do-after-load-ev

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Strange use of (run-with-timer 0 nil #'foo args) in do-after-load-evaluation
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 11:45:26 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yup.  There are several bug reports on this (general) issue of
>> asynchronous messages hiding queries.  One suggestion has been to extend
>> the echo area in these instances, showing the message (perhaps) below
>> the prompt.  Another is to have the prompt re-assert itself after a
>> timeout, making the message disappear.
>
> These bug reports are fixed now when messages are displayed in the
> minibuffer, but the problem still exists for the y-or-n-p prompt.

So read-from-minibuffer reasserts the query if an asynchronous message
hides it?  Then that sounds like a good idea.  On the other hand,
y-or-n-p could just call read-char/event with a timeout and do the same
thing.

> Why y-or-n-p doesn't use normal minibuffer functions?
>
> It can finely use read-from-minibuffer with a keymap where
> 'y' and 'n' keys are bound to minibuffer-exiting commands.
>
> Then history commands will be available for free, so you don't need
> to re-implement minibuffer history commands with `read-char-with-history'.

I think having a history for y-or-n-p doesn't sound very useful?
Hitting `M-p' doesn't to get to the previous answer just sounds
confusing to me.