Re: Proposal: include list of contributors on GNU Emacs website

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal: include list of contributors on GNU Emacs website
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 16:11:56 +0530

* Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> [2019-10-28 15:54]:
> On October 28, 2019 11:12:08 AM GMT+02:00, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> wrote:
> > That sure. And that is not the website.
> >
> > Emacs is not a product of a company that tries to hide authors.
> >
> > Website is not git and not Emacs package with file AUTHORS. Website is
> > presentation to the world including those people who do not use Emacs.
> >
> > Including those who write about Emacs while not using it. It is main
> > source of information about Emacs.
> >
> > Crediting people on the website shall be prominent.
> >
> > It is not for me. I can see contributors in the git.
>

> I don't think there's any argument about the general usefulness of
> having this information there.

I am sorry, I was under impression that giving credit to authors is so
common. Now I see you see no argument about general
usefulness. Website's usefulness is information. Not only distribution
of software.

Whole website is written to promote GNU Emacs, it is beautiful, d
shows its features, video episodes, and similar. Thus one of features
is that 1800+ people contributed to GNU Emacs. That is important
feature.

Giving proper attribution on a website is useful and beneficial, it is
"thank you" to authors.

That AUTHORS file is located in etc/AUTHORIS is fine and good.

> Do you have a practical proposal for how to include this information
> on the site?

There can be page like "Authors" or "History" where it can be written
what is GNU Emacs, how it started and list of people who contributed.

You have git, there must be some script that can quickly pull out
names of all authors and simply make a page out of it.

For example from:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24807930/git-list-all-authors-of-a-folder-of-files

by using:
git log --pretty=format:"%an%x09" myfolder | sort | uniq

I have got whole list of authors. With some other formatting it can be
done very nicely and easily. They could be mentioned in one line or
anyhow.

In my opinion History of Emacs is not mentioned on website, it should
be, authors are not mentioned, it should be. Website is not for
authors, it is for public, including for media, and people who do not
use Emacs. There is difference if software was made by 1-2 people or
by 1800+ people. General usefulness could be described as
information and giving credits.

Aaron Conole
Aaron Ecay
Aaron Jensen