Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 00:29:18 +0200

>> bold in completions-first-difference helps to immediately see the
>> next character to type to narrow completions further.
>
> <mild bikeshedding starts>
>
> Yes, but some questions, Juri:
>
> * wouldn't any other face, say "underline", serve the same purpose?

underline is less noticeable than bold, when used on a single character
with completions-first-difference in the "basic" completion style.

> * would you not be equally and efficiently informed of such facts if
>   completions-common-part were _more_ prominent and
>   completions-first-difference was _less_ prominent?

In the "basic" completion style completions-first-difference
needs to be more prominent since it's more important to indicate
the next character to type.

> * In completion styles other than "basic", there are many other
>   characters, besides the one marked with completions-first-difference,
>   that you type to narrow completion further, right?

Other completion styles don't highlight completions-first-difference
at all.  I'm not sure if only the "basic" completion style highlights
completions-first-difference.

Is it possible to use bold for completions-first-difference only
in the "basic" completion style, but for other completion styles
to use bold for completions-common-part?