Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 22:57:26 +0000

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Other completion styles don't highlight completions-first-difference
>>> at all.  I'm not sure if only the "basic" completion style highlights
>>> completions-first-difference.
>>
>> Eh.  I removed it recently, without asking anyone, waiting for
>> someone to complain. :-)
>>
>> Are you complaining? :-)  If you are, I'll revert that bit. If you aren't
>> I probably should revert it too...
>
> No, I'm not complaining.  Wait for real complaints from someone
> who will really get angry at your changes.  Or you could revert
> preemptively to avoid such angry complaints. :-)

Yes, probably a good idea.

> Or implement a solution that satisfies everyone: since in completion
> styles other than "basic", there are many characters that you can type
> to narrow completion further, is it possible to mark all them with
> completions-first-difference?

Yes, but no.  In the flex style, every character besides the one you've
already entered will potentially narrow the completion further.  So
you'd be left with a negative image than what we want.  Do I explain
myself.

And "what we want" is for it to work more like Company, Helm, or other
editors and UI's out there in the wild: show prominently the places in
the candidate where the pattern matches.

João