Re: Review request (compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist)

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Review request (compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 02:33:16 +0300

Hi Stefan,

On 28/10/2019 17:43 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Could you open a bug report against Kotlin requesting they use
> a standard error format instead of inventing yet another one?

Looks like it's done on purpose.  Current source (I refer to it in
comment in patch) is here:
https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin/blob/master/compiler/cli/src/org/jetbrains/kotlin/cli/common/messages/GradleStyleMessagerRenderer.kt

If I trace back a little, I see this commit made 5 years ago:
https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin/commit/ffe8ae3840d7b9bdc82170c8181031f05ced68bd,
in which they explicitly set the present format.  I don't know why they
did that, and commit message doesn't help.

So probably it's not very promising to file a bug about it.

BTW, kotlin compiler by itself reports more "normal" error messages,
this one-letter-error-type format is for gradle plugin only.

The reason for my patch is that kotlin + gradle is a popular combination
nowadays in java world (not that I like this fact :-)  In this course I
also added basic support for gradle in my javaimp package (now on
scratch branch, will merge in elpa master soon).

Thanks,
Filipp