Re: Rename "window" to "pane" (after Emacs 27)

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Rename "window" to "pane" (after Emacs 27)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 03:28:33 +0300

Hi,

- Maybe it would suffice to rename things in UI (menus etc.) and in
  tutorial, for newcomers.  Also, elisp manual sections and docstrings
  for things related to windows may mention their UI "aliases" (pane).

- If we take the real transition, the confusion during it could be worse
  than now, because of not only "window is not what you think", but also
  of "pane = window".

More personal points:

- If a thing is named unambigously in a given environment, then maybe
  it's not so important what the name actually is.  Here I imagine a
  let-binding of symbol "window" :-)

- I find the historical naming of things attractive, personally.

Filipp