Re: Rename "window" to "pane" (after Emacs 27)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Rename "window" to "pane" (after Emacs 27)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 22:07:49 -0400

It is not a matter of "defeat".  We did not stick with the terms
"frame" and "window" in the hope that other editors would follow us.
We did so to avoid the problems that the change would cause.

The idea of changing "window" to "pane" and keeping "frame"
would eliminate the worst of the problems.

Joke:
25 years ago, IBM called its version of the X Window System "PANES".
So you could have AIX and PANES on your Power PC.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)